2017    2016    2015    2014    2013    2012    2011    2010    2009    2008    2007    2006    2005    2004    2003    2002     Submit Press Release
For Immediate Release
Contact: Zina L. Carter  979-532-6417


Federal financial aid requires this information

Wharton County Junior College is urging its students to declare or update their major, particularly if they receive federal financial aid from Pell Grants, SEOG Grants, Federal Student Loans, College Work-Study or any veteran’s benefits. Students who have not declared a major by the Spring 2017 semester may risk losing their federal financial aid as government guidelines dictate that this aid can only pay for courses within a student’s declared major.

“Students may have declared their major on their admissions application, however, any time they change their major they need to update their student record,” says David Leenhouts, vice president of student services. “Students need to go into their online services account and check their declared major. If they need to change it, they should get a WCJC Change of Major form, available at wcjc.edu. Then, as soon as possible, they should return the form to the WCJC Office of Admissions and Registration. If they don’t, they could not only lose their federal aid, but they will not be able to register for the classes they need.”

Besides the financial benefits, students who declare or update their major will know that the courses they enroll in will count towards their desired major or degree, or transfer to a four-year university. In addition, when students declare or update their major it helps WCJC build and properly staff class schedules to offer students the classes they need.

Requesting students to declare or update their major is a Texas Pathways Project initiative. The Texas Pathway Project is a statewide strategy focused on building capacity for community colleges to design and implement structured academic and career pathways at scale, for all students.

For more information, students should visit wcjc.edu or speak with their advisor.